PHCbi Biomedical Preservation Technologies
Products & Services | PHC Europe BV
PHCbi Preservation solutions achieve higher quality, energy efficiency and stable temperature control with a suite of advanced and innovative technological features and engineering including energy-efficient cascade cooling, inverter technology, TwinGuard dual cooling systems, hydrocarbon refrigerants, patented Vacuum Insulation Panel (VIP), Isothermal freezing and full medical device (MDD) validation and certification. These include:
- Energy efficient cascade cooling system:PHCbi’s new patent pending capillary tube cascade system optimizes efficiency of heat exchange between the high and low stage circuits – crucial to achieving energy savings in ultra-low temperature freezing, while simultaneously reducing load on compressors for increased relaibility and longer service life.
- Cryopreservation: The storage of living organisms at ultra-low-temperature such that they can be restored to previous living state requires that they be maintained below the glass transition temperature of aqueous solutions (-130°C). This demands -150°C freezers or liquid nitrogen for extended storage times. PHCbi’s dry preservation and Isothermal concepts overcome the problems of cryopreservation in liquid nitrogen at -196°C, with risk of dry ice cross-contamination, or in vapor phase, with consequent loss of storage capacity and risk of steep vertical temperature gradients.
- Inverter technology: An inverter compressor operates at different speeds depending on ambient temperature or load conditions. This overcomes the disadvantages of conventional reciprocating compressors, where the piston is always working at full speed, wasting energy and increasing mechanical wear and stress. Intelligent control of the inverter compressor optimizes running speed to actual condition, keeping freezer temperature more stable, while ability to run at lower speeds also helps to avoid energy-intensive compressor start-ups.
- Dual Cooling System (Twinguard ULT): TwinGuard range ULT freezers, with CoolSafe compressors, use two independent refrigeration systems to provide exceptionally stable -86˚C ultra-low temperature environments with greater stability and security. If there is an unexpected failure in one cooling circuit, the other will maintain temperature in the -70˚C range, protecting samples until service can be arranged.
- Hydrocarbon refrigerants: Natural hydrocarbon refrigerants provide more efficient cooling due to their high latent heat of evaporation. This delivers higher coefficient of performance (COP) – the ratio between cooling provided and electrical energy consumed. This in turn allows smaller compressors to be used for reduced energy consumption. These natural refrigerants are also more environmentally friendly.
- VIP Vacuum Insulation Panels: PHC was the first company to introduce vacuum insulation panels to ultra-low temperature freezers. The PHCbi patented VIP® vacuum insulation panel composite that delivers higher specific insulation efficiency with thinner walls, allowing PHCbi refrigerators and freezers to offer typically 30% greater storage capacity for any given footprint. Many PHCbi ULT Freezer models incorporate latest generation VIP PLUS vacuum panels for even greater energy efficiency and cooling performance.
- Water Cooled Option: A water-cooled condenser option is available for some ultra-low temperature (ULT) freezers for repositories, hospitals, clinics and medical research facilities equipped with chilled recirculating water/HVAC systems. This option utilizes the cascade refrigeration design and a three phase process in which heat generated from the freezer compartment is transferred to a water circuit using a plate heat exchanger, after which absorbed heat is directed from the freezer into the building system for re-use elsewhere.
Ton Schipperheijn, Communications Manager, PHC Europe BV
Tel: +31 76 5433 833