By Huxley Bertram…
To get in touch with Huxley Bertram Engineering Ltd, simply fill out the form below.
Subscribe to Supplier
Huxley Bertram Tablet Formulation Development
Through advanced engineering, Huxley Bertram are defining the state-of-the art in research-focused powder compaction simulators that can be used for tablet formulation development in oral solid dose (OSD) forms.
Its tableting simulators are now critical tools for many leading pharma companies in being able to perfect their powder formulations and tablet manufacturing processes, being able to optimise tablet quality, while complying with USP<1062> Tablet Characterization guidelines.
The Huxley Bertram tableting system has evolved to provide an extensive array of die filling designs, compression loading profiles and measuring methods, all supported by sophisticated instrumentation and software analysis, allowing manufacturers to scale up seamlessly from laboratory R&D to full pharmaceutical tablet manufacturing.
Meeting R&D needs
HB Powder Compaction Simulator machines, software and instrumentation are designed to meet the needs of tablet formulation scientists and production engineers, and also to deliver practical benefits such as minimizing operating and tooling costs.
HB Powder Compacting Press Machines and Equipment are ideally suited to a wide range of powder compression applications. Leading-edge technology and precision engineering allow HB presses to form complex compacts to an optimized density.
Huxley Bertram R&D tablet press simulators are recognized by the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies for use in their process analytical technology (PAT) and Quality by Design (QbD) methods.
Research tablet press features
HB research tablet press instrumentation can support Drucker-Prager cap (DPC) modelling of the mechanical behavior of pharmaceutical powders, along with Heckel formulae for plotting relationships between compression forces, powder plasticity and porosity, both important for assessing tablet manufacturing process viability.
Instrumentation can also generate compaction profiling for direct compression, roller compaction, and following dry and wet granulation, all to USP<1062> standards.
Other distinctive Huxley Bertram research-based features include:
- Tri-axial or “Hiestand” testing: Supports advanced compaction modelling of compressed tablets via tri-axial decompression that extends the range of materials that can be measured to include brittle active and passive ingredients, with specific fixtures to allow measurement of materials data without cracking due to uniaxial decompression and ejection.
- Tableting instrumentation: The whole tablet manufacturing process can be studied using an unrivalled range of measuring technologies, from high pressure die wall sensors, to fast in-tablet temperature transducers, adhesion measuring punches, and much more.
- Adhesion measuring punches: Production tooling may be modified for instrumentation.
- Temperature controlled tooling: to simulate the real temperatures experienced during pharmaceutical tablet manufacturing processes, with controls integrated into the machine test software so that temperature data is automatically recorded.
- Split dies: To overcome the problem of tablets failing during ejection due to die friction or shear, HB compaction simulators use a hydraulically actuated split tablet die to release radial die wall pressure after compaction, but before ejection. This can be combined with tri-axial pressure release servo control to release pressure automatically in proportion to the axial punch pressure.
- Core-Rod Tooling: can be used to make simple rings or encapsulated segments or complex tablet forms. Both upper and lower tablet punches can be made with individually actuated sleeves and core sections to achieve many complex tablet designs.
- Roller Compaction Simulation Tooling: Huxley Bertram compaction simulators can use a wide array of rectangular tablet punches and dies, typically in “D” or “F” format, to aid material sparing study of behavior of tablet formulations under roller compaction conditions. Software accepts automatically loaded roller compaction modelling test profiles.
- Integral weight, thickness and breaking force measurement: HB100 Huxley Bertram tablet compaction simulators incorporate automatic weight, thickness and breaking force measurement on machine to free up valuable laboratory time and also allow data to be correctly and securely recorded at source and under full isolation where necessary.
- Capsule Filling studies: available on Huxley Bertram powder compaction simulators HB50 and upwards.
Huxley Bertram tablet compression machines are also engineered to be simple to install and easy to maintain, with annual calibration and servicing provided by HB engineers.
Tablet Compaction Simulator range
Huxley Bertram (HB) offers a range of Tablet Compaction Simulators as versatile specialist measuring instruments that allow almost every imaginable tablet formulation and tablet manufacturing process to be modelled on a single research powder press platform.
The range includes:
- HB100 High Speed Tablet Press Simulator: Huxley Bertram’s high-speed hydraulic compaction research tablet press, with automated die fill and multiple tooling options. The platform includes comprehensive analysis software. The configurable work space can be used for tablet compaction, tri-axial, or capsule filling tests. The HB100 can be specified with 50KN or 100kN dynamic capacity, operating at up to 130KN at slower speeds. The platform is designed to accommodate all standard tooling formats, including deep tablet dies, micro-tablets, multi-tips etc. It can be specified with up to three programmable feeders for multi-layer, dry encapsulation or die lubrication options.
- HB100 High Speed Tablet Press Simulator with Containment: Optional isolation and containment fixtures allows the HB100 to work safely with compounds up to OEB 5 occupational exposure band limits.
- HB50 Tablet Press Simulator: 50 kN servo-hydraulic versatile double ended tablet press simulator with configurable work space for tablet compaction or capsule filling tests. A wide selection of instrumentation and software options. Position-controlled press and roller compactor simulations using a library of machines, and position or load controlled research profiles for material characterization and initial studies.
- HB50 Tablet Press Simulator with Containment: Optional isolation and containment fixtures allows the HB50 to work safely with compounds up to OEB 4 occupational exposure band limits.
- HB10 Versatile Tablet Press: A compact low-speed but highly capable servo-hydraulic double acting R&D tablet press with integrated hydraulic pump, simple operating software and precision instrumentation for load and position, upper and lower. HB10 has multi-layer capability and accommodates all standard tooling types.
- Tablet testing fixtures: A range of specialized tablet die and instrumentation packages that can be conveniently used for advanced measurements: these packages are designed for easy fitment to existing universal testing machine to allow advanced compaction studies to be performed on Instron, Zwick, MTS, etc. installations.
HB supports its compaction simulator solutions with a wide range of specialized accessories and instrumentation, including Adhesion Punches, Pressure Instrumented Dies, Ejection Force Punches, Temperature Instrumented Punches, Tool Holders and Shear Testers.
All HB tablet compaction simulators are CE certified and comply with UL requirements.
Click on Tablet Compaction Simulation for further information on Huxley Bertram Powder Compaction Research machines.