By Dec Group
To get in touch with Dec Group, simply fill out the form below.
Subscribe to Supplier
DecFill® LAB provides zero-stress aseptic filling solution for R&D
Ecublens, Switzerland: – Powder handling and high containment specialists Dec Group has introduced DecFill® LAB as an advanced zero-stress aseptic liquids and solids filling solution for laboratory and R&D applications.
This mobile and compact tabletop unit can handle a wide range of container types and features Dec’s award-winning liquid BoMa dosing technology for high filling accuracy with no shear stress when liquids need to be filled.
Aseptic filling fundamentals
Aseptic filling, the process of filling sterile products into containers without any contamination, is fundamental in ensuring pharmaceutical product safety. In filling of parenterals or other concentrated substances highly sensitive to process conditions, the aseptic filling technology employed is crucial in ensuring impact on product is minimized.
As a Swiss-based company operating worldwide that specializes in providing aseptic filling solutions for the pharmaceutical industry from bench to full production scale, Dec Group is at the forefront of aseptic filling technology and has developed several proprietary solutions.
One of these is BoMa dosing technology, inspired by Boyle’s Law1, which allows highly accurate dosing of a wide range of substances ranging from liquid to viscous. The technology’s benefits include 100% In-Process Control of the dispensed volume, making it ideal for dispensing small volumes in an isolator where weighing scales are often performing poorly, together with absence of dead volume re-circulation, supporting use for small batches.
Meeting Laboratory Needs
Dec has now applied these fundamental advantages to extend its DecFill® range to include the LAB model as a platform that is ideal for workbench setups, but which can also be integrated into a glove box for sterility assurance. It is a mobile and compact tabletop unit specifically designed for laboratory and R&D applications and can handle a wide range of container types such as Ready-to-Use (RTU) systems, vials, cartridges, and syringes.
Use of BoMa technology and advanced design also allow DecFill® LAB to offer numerous other benefits:
- No shear stress exposure, i.e. preservation of product quality, reduced waste by maximized product yield, uniform dispensing, ideal for sensitive suspensions used in molecular biology
- 100% In-Process Control of the dispensed volume, which makes it ideal for dispensing small volumes in an isolator where weighing scales are often performing poorly
- Ability to include decontamination (UV/degassing) and visual control before dispensing
- Collapsing of soft bags (pouches, IV bags, etc. prior filling without disconnection, preventing gas inside the container
- Zero sensitivity to viscosity changes, unlike peristaltic pumps
- No mechanical displacement associated with plunger of rotary piston pumps or roller on tube of peristaltic pumps , for less particle generation
- Single mechanical moving part, a well proven microfluidic multi-port valve
- Complete emptying of dosing chamber when handling products that easily drip (low surface tension, with long polymeric chains, etc.)
- Available vacuum mode allows any gas to be added after dispensing for blanketing container before closing
DecFill LAB is also available in a version optimized for solids, using a micro-scale version of Dec’s world-renowned PTS Powder Transfer System® that uses a combination of pressure and vacuum for seamless movements of even the most problematic substances.
R&D and laboratory supplications
One of the key features of the DecFill® LAB is its manual container placement system fitted with automatic check weighing and stoppering capabilities that allows an operator to place product containers manually.
The LAB unit also makes data collection easy, with a built in USB interface for downloads. This allows for valuable data to be collected and analyzed for quality assurance purposes and makes the DecFill® Lab version an efficient tool for research teams.
Another advantage of the DecFill® LAB is its simple and user-friendly interface and recipe control options via HMI. This makes it easy to operate, even for those who are not familiar with the technical aspects of aseptic filling.
In addition, the DecFill® LAB may be integrated into various aseptic Dec containment systems such as oRABS and isolators to provide additional protection against contamination throughout the filling process.
Overall, the DecFill® LAB is an efficient and user-friendly solution for aseptic filling in laboratory and R&D settings. Its compact size and flexibility make it an ideal choice for small-scale operations.
The DecFill® product series is part of Dec’s Filling Solution Technologies easily integrable into end-to-end solutions from the raw material income to the final product.
- Boyle’s law, also called Mariotte’s law, a relation concerning the compression and expansion of a gas at constant temperature. This empirical relation, formulated by the physicist Robert Boyle in 1662, states that the pressure (p) of a given quantity of gas varies inversely with its volume (v) at constant temperature; i.e., in equation form, pv = k, a constant. The relationship was also discovered by the 17th century French physicist Edme Mariotte. (Source : Britannica)
About Dec Group
Dec (Dietrich Engineering Consultants) Group is the leading global provider of contained powder handling systems and is recognized as a world-leading expert in process containment technologies. It has been supplying the pharmaceutical, chemical, food and cosmetic industries for more than 35 years.
The depth of Dec’s knowledge and their ability to develop innovative new technologies make them an invaluable partner for both multinationals and specialist organizations.
With true worldwide coverage through subsidiaries in Switzerland, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, USA, India, China, its recent acquisition of advanced containment and aseptic solution provider Extract Technology and the latest expansion with the integration of UK based Alconbury Weston Ltd (AWL), leading in flow chemistry solutions as well as agents covering more than 60 countries, the Dec Group provides its customers with unparalleled global expertise and a reliable network for local support.
To learn more, visit: https://www.dec-group.net/