Rommelag sets standards in the aseptic packing of liquids and semisolids with its proprietary bottelpack® aseptic filling systems and Blow-Fill-Seal (BFS) technology.
Rommelag is the brand banner for the Hansen Group of companies that invented and developed BFS technology and has become a global market leader in the aseptic filling of liquids and semisolids with its bottelpack machines as well as film-based packaging and flexible containment solutions.
Rommelag also co-operates with clients to develop innovative solutions specifically tailored to specific packaging needs.
Products and services
Rommelag provides products and services under its four divisions.
Rommelag ENGINEERING develops and markets the BFS technology that forms the basis of a range of bottelpack systems that can manufacture canisters, bottles, tubes, ampoules, drop bottles, bellows containers, and portion packaging in a variety of forms and plastic blends, with filling volumes ranging from 0.04 to 10,000 ml, aseptically or conventionally – fully automatically in all cases. Systems feature a wide variety of moulds, cavities and footprints, with outputs ranging from 400 to 34,000 pieces per hour. Rommelag ENGINEERING also supplies a range of expansion options and ancillaries including Cap-Welding Machine (SM), Ampoule Inspection System (VIM), Particle Inspection Machine (PIM) and High-Voltage Leak Detector (HVLD).
Rommelag CMO applies BFS and bottelpack technology on behalf of clients, contract filling more than two million containers a day for customers all over the world. Rommelag CMO operates more than 50 systems in multiple configurations, set up to meet stringent pharmaceutical standards, perform test fillings, and realize production batches or small-scale series for clients. Rommelag CMO provides pharma companies with quick and easy access to BFS technology without having to invest in either the mandatory GMP environment that goes with it or specialist operating staff.
Rommelag FLEX is a specialist in plastic film, developing tailored packaging solutions including a wide array of pouches, sleeves, sacks, carrier bags, and food, shrink, and special films made of polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), and plastic blends, as well as special applications for sophisticated containment solutions in the pharma industry.
Rommelag SERVICE forms a one-stop shop for everything from spare parts to upgrades, along with expert advice that applies from the earliest stages of process, when developing a formula or fine-tuning a product design. After-sales service advice also extends to activation, qualification, and validation of BFS systems in accordance with GMP guidelines, service scheduling, part replacements or process tuning.
Rommelag ENGINEEIRNG´s mastery is based on their core technology: Blow-Fill-Seal aseptic filling systems.
Blow-Fill-Seal technology is ideal choice for aseptic filling of liquids, suspensions, emulsions and gels. Every BFS process begins with the extrusion of a sterile polymer parison directly within the system. Once complete, the container can then be molded, filled, sealed, and immediately demolded – all in a single process, in a self-contained system, and without the need for any external intervention. This eliminates the need for expensive logistics, not to mention time-consuming cleaning and sterilization processes for prefabricated containers.
Standard BFS procedure is to fill at room temperature. However in the pharmaceutical industry, there is increasing need to accommodate temperature sensitive products. Accordingly Rommelag has developed the cool-BFS process, incorporating special measures that keep the filling at correct temperature before filling begins, and ensuring that the freshly demolded plastic bodies cool down quickly. As a result, the processing speed remains high and the filling can benefit from maximum protection at all times.
BFS technology offers a range of other benefits:
- Break-proof plastic containers
- Maximum safety thanks to ISO class 5 conditions at the filling point
- Recognized advanced aseptic system by regulators
- Fully automated manufacturing, filling and sealing processes in a single operation
- Exceptional process and product reliability
- Maximum filling accuracy
- Virtually unlimited range of container designs
- Individual adaptation to the specific application and administration type
- Modular design for easy installation in the gray and white system zone
- Significantly smaller footprint than conventional filling systems
Aseptic bottelpack® filling
Rommelag bottelpack systems are individually configured for each task, making them the perfect choice for any application area, including:
- Canisters, bottles, parisons, ampoules, drop bottles, bellows containers, and portion packaging
- Polyethylene, polypropylene, or multilayer containers
- Pharmaceuticals, chemical products, functional food, and much more
- Ancillary cap welding machines and inspection systems also available
All of the filling processes – including the dosing system – are designed with clean or sterilize in place (CIP/SIP) in mind. This means all of the product-handling lines can be cleaned and sterilized with pressurized steam, and dried with sterile filtered air by automatic programs. This makes bottelpack technology the most reliable aseptic filling method.
History and organization
Rommelag traces its origins back to 1952, when Gerhard Hansen founded the Thermo-Pack company to extrude, print, and cut polyethylene (PE) films. In 1962, Hansen developed his first prototype of the BFS bottelpack machine and two years later, the newly founded German company Kocher-Plastik Maschinenbau GmbH took over development and manufacture of the bottelpack system, launching the first machines in 1964, when Rommelag Switzerland began to sell bottelpack machines there.
Rommelag Germany was founded in 1967 to sell bottelpack machines, initially in West Germany, while a Swiss subsidiary Maroplastic was founded in Switzerland in 1969 to manufacture bottelpack machines there.
During the 1970s, the bottelpack system enjoyed huge market success, particularly in Asia and South America, and Hansen expanded to use the system for contract filling services under the Holopack and Maropack banners.
In the early 1990s, the company developed the cap-welding machine for infusion containers and also introduced its first high-voltage leak detector (HVLD) system.
In 2005, Hansen introduced its fourth generation of bottelpack machines and by 2014, had sold more than 1,800 bottelpack machines worldwide.
In 2016, the Hansen Group companies were grouped under the Rommelag brand, operating as four divisions:
- Rommelag ENGINEERING: for bottelpack systems
- Rommelag CMO: for contract filling
- Rommelag FLEX: For flexible film-based packaging types and special containment solutions
- Rommelag SERVICE: For customer care and support
Rommelag now forms a global network, with sales organizations in Switzerland, Germany, USA and China and with some 1,800 dedicated employees in more than 80 countries around the world.
Quality, Regulatory and Standards
Rommelag ’s products and processes are quality compliant with key International Standards DIN ISO 9001 and DIN EN 50001 while bottelpack systems can be configured to be compliant with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) guidelines.
To learn more about Rommelag products and services and how they can assist your business, please contact the supplier.
- > Rommelag showing advanced BFS solutions at Arab Health 2020
- > Rommelag Services for bottelpack BFS aseptic systems
- > bottelpack Blow-Fill-Seal Technology
- > Aseptic filling in ampoules - Rommelag bottelpack bp460
- > Rommelag BFS Ampoule Inspection Systems
- > Rommelag BFS Aseptic Filling Machines
- > Rommelag contributes expertise to PDA Europe polymer packaging training seminar
- > Rommelag presents unique container solutions to CPhI Chicago expo
- > Rommelag presents advanced BFS and inspection solutions at INTERPHEX 2019
- > Rommelag presents BFS for liquid pharmaceutical formulations at CPhI Japan
- > Rommelag showing huge range of innovative container closure systems at Pharmapack Paris
- > Rommelag showing advanced bottelpack aseptic fill solutions at Arab Health Dubai
- > Rommelag returns to Pharmtech Moscow with latest innovations
- > Rommelag Engineering brings latest Cosmetic Inspection technology to PACKEXPO Chicago
- > Rommelag showing leading-edge aseptic filling and containment solutions at CPhI Worldwide
- > Aseptic Blow-Fill-Seal packaging machine with cap welding machine - Bottelpack bp321
- > Aseptic Blow-Fill-Seal packaging machine - Bottelpack bp364
- > Aseptic filling machine with closed parison - Bottelpack bp430
- > Rommelag presents ‘carefree’ 3-in-1 BFS bottelpack offer at ACHEMA 2018
- > Rommelag brings new bottelpack solutions to FCE Pharma Brazil
- CRO, CMO, CRAMS & CDMO
- Drug Delivery
- Drug Discovery
- Engineering Design & Construction
- Formulation & Ingredients
- Manufacturing & Production
- Packaging & Labelling
- Process Engineering & Equipment