BIOSYNTH is a chemical supplier and manufacturing CDMO that specializes in microbiology and organic fine chemicals in the field of bioluminescence and chemiluminescence probes, fluorescent probes, chromogenic substrates, enzyme substrates, indole derivatives and special chemicals.
The company’s products are widely used in microbiology, molecular biology, diagnostics, pharmaceutical industry, chemical industry, food and environmental testing.
BIOSYNTH serves diagnostics manufacturers, pharmaceutical industry, cell and microbiology media producers and private/public funded research institutions with a strategy that always places the customer in the focus of attention.
Products & Activities
BIOSYNTH organises its activity areas under seven main headings:
Life Sciences: Biochemical ingredients used in any application that requires reliable, reproducible results.
Microbiology: manufactured biochemical reagents used in industrial and clinical microbiology.
Diagnostics: Reagents used in chemical reaction to detect or produce another substance, usually part of a diagnostic test.
Plant Biotechnology: Plant hormones (phytohormones) needed to control the complete plant lifecycle, including auxins, cytokinins, gibberellins, abscisic acid and ethylene.
Pharmaceutical Industry: GMP-compliant active pharmaceutical ingredients, principally Histamine.
Organic Synthesis: chemical intermediates used in synthetic applications, particularly high-value intermediates.
BIOSYNTH serves these product and service areas with a portfolio of more than 3,000 products, offered under the following groupings:
APIs: Including cGMP 5-Aminolevulinic acid hydrochloride (including SST mix), Histamine x 2HCl and 5-Hydroxytryptamine creatinine sulphate (salt) monohydrate
Chromogenic Substrates: Aldol®. X- & Y-Substrates, Salmon, Magenta, Lapis and New Color Substrates
Fluorogenic Substrates: Aldol®, AMC, Fluoresceine, MU, Resorufin, Rhodamine Substrates and Localized Fluorescence /
Chemiluminescence and Bioluminescence: Luciferin, Proluciferin, Coelenterazine, Dioxetanes (including AquaSpark™), Lumiol
Organic Synthesis: Advanced Intermediates, Basic Intermediates, Building Blocks, Chiral Epoxides, Chiral Building Blocks, Heterocyclic Compounds, Indoles, Isothicyanates, Organic Phosphine Ligands, Polymer Chemistry
Biochemistry: Amino Acids, Biological Buffers, Carbohydrate Chemistry, Detergents, Enzymes, Substrates, Reagents, Cofactors, Enzyme Inhibitors, Lipids, Nucleoside, Nucleotide Chemistry, Protease Inhibitors, Protein Characterization, Reducing Agents and Stabilizers
Molecular Biology & Genetics: Polyamines and Gene Expression
Microbiology: BCM® Media, Culture Media Additives and Enzyme-activated inhibitors
Cell Science: Cell Signaling, Cytokines, Antibiotics, Culture Media Additives
In Vitro Diagnostics: Enzyme Substrates & Reagents, Biomarkers, Blood Diagnostics, Endotoxin Detection
Imaging: Bio- and Chemiluminescence, Dyes, Stains, Indicators & Labels, Fluorescent Dyes & Labels, Histology
Biomedical Science: Components of Drugs and Prodrugs, Antiviral, Cancer Research, Cardiovascular Research, Immunology, Neuroscience, Bioactive Peptides
Nutrition Research & Industry: Food Additives & Vitamins
Veterinary Science: 5-Hydroxytryptamine, Serotonin, Choline chloride
Plant Biotechnology: Additives for Plant Tissue Culture Media, Plant Hormones and Growth Regulators, Plant Protection
All products can be purchased direct from online store on the BIOSYNTH website (www.biosynth.com), which also provides a constantly growing resource for scientific, chemical, biological content, including mini-reviews and articles on diagnostics topics and modern microbiology methods and an online database of >100,000 substances.
BIOSYNTH production, process scale- up and R&D departments are strongly interconnected, relying on state of art equipment.
The company operates a series of reactors with volume capabilities ranging from 50 up to 2500 liters, along with large centrifuges (up to 25 kg), filter-driers (400-630 liters), large vacuum dryers, conic dryers, mills and ultra-filtration apparatuses.
It has the capability to perform single or multistep syntheses along with enzymatic reactions and preparative extraction chemistry for natural products such as Digitalis extracts.
A dedicated isolated hydrogenation laboratory is available for research and production purposes.
For multi-stage, short path and Thin Film Distillation, BIOSYNTH operates a sequence of glass and hastelloy degassing unit, thin film fraction column and short path evaporator, all qualified for purification of pharmaceutical intermediates and APIs.
BIOSYNTH also offers a series of unique proprietary process technologies.
- Aldol® Indicators: A series of novel chromogenic enzyme substrates for microbiological assays that overcome common drawbacks of conventional substrates by overcoming dependence on oxidative dimerization for color development by attaching various enzyme labile groups (comprising beta-D-galactoside, acetate, alpha-D-glucoside, beta-D-glucuronide, phosphocholine, and N-acetyl-beta-D-galactosaminide) to new dye precursors.
- AquaSpark™ phosphatase substrates: Co-developed by BIOSYNTH and Prof. D. Shabat’s group at Tel Aviv University, AquaSpark™ molecules provide a new generation of chemiluminescence probes for research and diagnostic applications. These probes offer unique advantages in working as single agents with higher efficiency and sensitivity over currently existing probes both ex-vivo and in-vivo.
- STAADIUM™ selective Inhibitors: BIOSYNTH invented the STAADIUM™ platform of low toxicity inhibitors masked by enzyme labile groups. These enzyme-responsive inhibitors only become active when microbes producing the corresponding enzyme are present. Specific groups or single species of microorganism can be targeted by the choice of the enzyme labile group(s). Microorganisms lacking the enzymatic activity are not affected. These selective inhibitors are spearheaded by the GalactoZide™ family of compounds acting on lactose fermenting bacteria, along with PeptiZide™ L-Ala targeting Gram negatives and GlucuroniZide™ that inhibits selectively E. coli.
BIOSYNTH is also a chemical service provider that helps customers to reduce the time, costs and risks associated with drug development, helping to make critical decisions more efficiently and progresses drug candidates through the development pipeline with greater speed. Its CDMO quality control capabilities include process development, analytical development and route scouting.
Process Optimization: BIOSYNTH has decades of experience developing novel manufacturing processes. Process optimization services includes the re-design of the manufacturing process when necessary to make difficult production remain profitable.
Orphan Drugs and Active Ingredients: BIOSYNTH also offers clients partnership opportunities to develop non-GMP manufactured chemicals into licensed APIs for the treatment of rare diseases. Under certain circumstances, where no GMP-quality material is commercially available, it is possible to use non-GMP quality instead.
Structure and history:
Over more than 50 years, BIOSYNTH has become a well-established chemical company with multinational operations.
BIOSYNTH was founded in 1966 by Hans Spitz, whose son, Urs Spitz, took over as CEO in 2004. The company first expanded its production facilities in 1985, adding new logistics and QC facilities in 2009 and a new production site in 2011.
During 2016, BIOSYNTH acquired a major stake in Slovakian-based organic chemistry specialist TAU-CHEM and the following year added a new EU logistics hub, also based in Bratislava., extending its GMP production facilities in the same year.
The company’s headquarters remain in Staad, Switzerland, which is also the base for its production, sales, logistics, QA and QC.
BIOSYNTH also operates subsidiaries in the USA (BIOSYNTH Int., Itasca, IL) and in China (BIOSYNTH, Wuxi).
Quality and Regulatory
BIOSYNTH is a ISO9001:2008 and GMP certified company that also holds Japanese PMDA certification.
The company uses modern instrumental techniques and methods to determine product identity and purity as well as any other product -specific parameters. It can perform most analytical methods including determination of product identity and purity by chromatography (HPLC, GC, TLC, IC), NMR, FT-IR, ICP-OES and ICP-MS, UV spectroscopy, specific rotation, elemental analysis and titration, as well as determination of water content (Karl Fischer), melting point, pH value, loss on drying.
BIOSYNTH pilot and production facilities in Switzerland are all to cGMP standards.
ContactTo learn more about BIOSYNTH services and capabilities and how they can assist your business, please contact the supplier.
- > Biosynth Research & Development Services
- > Biosynth and Nemis bring breakthrough AquaSpark™ rapid detection to AACC in Chicago
- > BIOSYNTH Molecule of the Month: Chrysanthemin
- > Presenting the breakthrough AquaSpark™ chemiluminescent technology and application at the IAPF 2018
- > Biosynth showing breakthrough chemiluminescent probes at Tetrahedron 2018
- > Biosynth exhibiting innovative luminescent probe technologies at ASM Microbe 2018
- > Biosynth brings breakthrough AquaSpark probe technology to ISBC 2018
- > Biosynth Minireview: Exploring new territories with Dioxetane Chemiluminescence
- > BIOSYNTH shows leading edge chemiluminescence solutions at CPhI Japan 2018
- CRO, CMO, CRAMS & CDMO
- Drug Discovery
- Formulation & Ingredients
- Manufacturing & Production
- Packaging & Labelling
- Pre-Clinical Research
- Process Engineering & Equipment
- Regulatory Affairs & Compliance